Community center traces to 1872 still serves the poor
Fletcher Place Community Center's roots go back to 1872 when the United Methodist Church started a small outreach program to tend to the needs of a growing immigrant population. Its base of operations was first an old house near Virginia and Fletcher avenues, then the historic church next door.
A "neighborhood service station" is how The Indianapolis News described it in a story back in 1930: "... sermons on Sundays and practical Christianity every day of the week are served to all who care to partake, whether Protestants, Catholics, Jews or pagans" employed women "who had no suitable place" to leave their babies paid 5½ cents a day for childcare.
comments powered by Disqus