When COVID reared its ugly head last spring, little did we know that it would still be affecting our world as greatly as it is. As of yesterday, Indiana advanced to Stage 5 as we continue to work to get the state “Back on Track.”
The Indiana Conference continues to encourage pastors to lead their churches with the “Do no harm” mindset, following state and federal guidelines:
- Require face coverings. (Do we like them? No. But they have been proven to lessen the spread of germs.) Have extra masks on hand just in case someone in your congregation needs one.
- Limit your worship gathering size. (Additional restrictions may apply in specific counties or municipalities.) Consider adding additional services if needed.
- Practice social distancing at all times. Family units must be at least 6 feet apart. Use tape to mark 6-feet increments in your sanctuary, alternating rows when possible.
- Offer virtual services. If most of your congregation is 65 years or older, using livestream may continue to be the safest option for your church.
- Clean the church after each service and disinfect high-contact surfaces regularly.
- Implement no-contact greetings.
- Avoid handing out bulletins.
- Place hand sanitizing stations around the building.
- Dismiss services in a way that lessens contact.
We encourage you to continue to find healthy ways to serve and encourage your communities. Let’s work together to provide safe worship environments during this difficult time.