You are invited to join us for the Lay Servant Ministries Academy to begin or continue training for living out the call to make disciples for the transformation of our churches, communities, and world.
Cost: $15 per person
Payment Information: Visa and MasterCard accepted
Please print a copy of your registration for your receipt.
Check payments must be mailed within 7 days of registration. Please include a copy of your invoice with your check.
Make checks payable to INUMC
Attn: Lisa Timmerman
301 Pennsylvania Parkway, #300
Indianapolis, IN 46280
Registration deadline: February 23, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Cancellation policy: cancellations must be received via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 pm on February 23, 2020 to be eligible for a refund less processing fee. No refunds after this date.
- Basic Course – This class gives participants an overview of the history, orientation and the Ministries of Caring, Leading and Communication. While no “preaching skills” are taught in this course, it is required for all individuals preparing to follow the “Preaching Track” sequence. Book: Lay Servant Ministries Participant’s Book by Sandy Zeigler Jackson and Brian Jackson ISBN 9780881776263 Amazon, Cokesbury, Upper Room. Teacher – Ginger Booker
- Preaching 1 – Topics covered include the “nuts and bolts” of preparing and delivering a sermon; addressing the individual’s call to preach; history, theology; and the role of the sermon in the worship service. Each participant can expect to give a message to the class with valuable feedback from teacher and class participants. Prerequisite: Basic; Book From Pew to Pulpit by Clifton F Guthrie Participant’s Book; 978068706605 – Amazon, Cokesbury, Upper Room; Teacher – Rev. Shalimar Holderly
- Leading Worship – This course focuses on the ministry of the Lay Servant who either regularly or occasionally leads a group, class, organization, or the congregation in worship. The course is grounded in the classic patterns of Christian worship and the practices of leading worship. Upon completion of this course student should be able to identify the Basic Pattern of Worship and describe its history. They should be able to offer supportive feedback on planning and leading worship. Participants will explore and practice leading worship in a variety of settings, and alternative patterns of worship. Prerequisite: Basic; Book: Worshipping with United Methodists, A Guide for Pastors and Church Leaders, by Hoyt L. Hickman 2007, Abingdon Press, ISBN 13978068733528 Amazon, Upper Room; Additional resources required: Students should have access to a Bible (translation of choice), A United Methodist Hymnal and the United Methodist Book of Worship; Teacher: Pastor Jerry Burghduff
- Lay Servants as Christian Transformational Leaders – If the mission of the Church is to be fulfilled, the Church needs Christian transformational leaders. This class will offer a framework for understanding how lay servants can be Christian transformational leaders in their churches, workplaces, and in the world. Prerequisite: Basic; Book: Lay Servants as Christian Transformational Leaders by Marc Brown, Kathy Merry, John Briggs; 978-0-88177-881-6 Amazon and Upper Room; Teacher: Rev. Tony Johnson & Team
- Bible Study – Study of Matthew. Additional resources required: Students should have access to a Bible (translation of choice); Teacher: Jim Taylor