Meridian Street M.E. Church, located at 5500 North Meridian Street, was formed in 1842 after the original Methodist congregation in Indianapolis was divided by Bishop Andrus and the Annual Conference. An important disagreement had arisen concerning the use of choirs and instruments such as organs in worship. The dividing line between the two churches was to be Meridian Street, and those west of the street were designated the Western Charge, This group, which chiefly consisted of those favoring choirs and organ music, adopted the name "Meridian Street" when it moved several blocks north in 1870. After additional moves, the present Colonial Revival style church was built in 1949-1952.
GPS: 39 51 08.10, -86 09 28.41