Fresh Expressions is a model of outreach especially for churches that are seeking to be more missional. It is one of the most effective ways for a church to reach and disciple persons who have no interest in attending church. The model, developed by the Anglican and Methodist churches of England, is based on Jesus’ sending of the 72 in Luke 10. It is a model that can be initiated by as few as one or two persons and it doesn’t necessarily require a lot of money. Any-sized church can do a Fresh Expression and in any setting. All it requires is a bit of understanding and a heart for those outside the church that Jesus referred to as the lost.
Why use the Fresh Expressions model? Listen to Rev. Brian Cook, pastor of Grace UM Church in Kokomo…
Why consider the Fresh Expressions model? Rev. Brian Cook explains…
Fresh Expressions Grants Available
The Indiana Conference is offering dollar-for-dollar matching grants for up to $1,000 to eligible churches. Eligible churches are those that meet all of the following criteria:
- Is a United Methodist Church located in Indiana
- Has leaders who have attended a Fresh Expressions training
- Has the intention of starting a Fresh Expression effort that…
- Intends to reach people from outside the church’s congregation
- Meets at least monthly
- Intentionally disciples: Begins with hospitality and moves, as is appropriate, to more tangible discipling approaches—one-to-one mentoring, prayer, Bible study, etc.
- Is connected to the church and is supervised by the church’s pastor or a designee
- Does not expect those who attend to ultimately attend the sponsoring church; the Fresh Expression can be their church
4. Has had its church council/board officially approve launching the Fresh Expression
Grants are considered by the Church Development Committee each month.
Share your church’s Fresh Expressions story
Send a description to Ed Fenstermacher (email@example.com).
Listen to other Fresh Expressions stories:
- Becoming Church: A Trail Guide for Starting Fresh Expressions, by Luke Edwards
- Deep Roots, Wild Branches: Revitalizing the Church in the Blended Ecology, by Michael Adam Beck
- A Field Guide to Methodist Fresh Expressions, by Michael Beck
- Fresh Expressions: A New Kind of Methodist Church For People Not In Church, by Kenneth Carter and Audrey Warren
- Fresh Expressions in a Digital Age, by Michael Beck and Rosario Picardo
- Fresh Expressions of Church, by Travis Collins
- Welcome to Dinner, Church, by Verlon Fosner
- Fresh Expression US’s FX app, which has an FX library of e-books, videos, articles, activities, discipleship materials, and other resources
- How to Start a New Kind of Church, by Luke Edwards
- The 21st Century Christian: Following Jesus Where Life Happens, by Michael Moynagh and Michael Beck