GBHEM Provides New United Methodist History Course for Spanish Speakers
NASHVILLE, Tenn., October 24, 2017—The Office of Clergy Formation at the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry is now offering an online course option for Spanish speakers. United Methodist History or La Historia de la Iglesia Metodista Unida is offered in Spanish for the first term in 2018, January 15 to March 25.Registration for the United Methodist History course is open now through November 20, 2017.
United Methodist History is one of three classes (United Methodist Polity, Doctrine, and History) in the Advanced Course of Study program designed for those serving as local pastors or those seeking ordination in The United Methodist Church. Philip Wingeier-Rayo, Ph.D., associate professor of Evangelism, Mission, and Methodist Studies at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, is the professor for the class.
The online Course of Study has been around for years as a resource to help those working full or part-time in ministry access the courses needed to complete educational requirements for ordination and service. However, the program was revamped in 2016 to provide a more innovative and interactive experience for students. Course of Study students can interact with professors and collaborate with fellow studies online for a portion of their courses.
The online Course of Study program offers ten-week terms in January and August of each year. Eight of the required classes for the program are available online:
- 121: Bible I: Introduction
- 122: Theological Heritage I
- 123: Formation and Discipleship
- 124: Transformative Leadership
- 221: Bible II: Torah and Israel's History
- 222: Theological Heritage II: Early Church
- 224: Administration and Polity
- 321: Bible III
The remaining 12 classes required for the Course of Study must be completed within an approved regional or extension school. The lists of approved Regional Course of Study programs and Extension School Course of Study programs are available on the GBHEM website.
To learn more about GBHEM’s Course of Study program, visit www.gbhem.org.
About GBHEM: As the leadership development agency of The United Methodist Church, the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry’s mission is to build capacity for United Methodist lay and clergy leaders to discover, claim and flourish in Christ’s calling in their lives, by creating connections and providing resources to aid in recruitment, education, professional development and spiritual formation. Every elder, deacon and licensed local pastor benefits from our training and candidacy programs. Many young adults find help in clarifying their vocation and God’s call in their lives through our leadership and discernment programs. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook: @GBHEM.
View Online: https://www.gbhem.org/article/gbhem-provides-new-united-methodist-history-course-spanish-speakers
Social Media Resources: Please feel free to use the attached image with the social media posts below.
- Check out the New United Methodist History Course for Spanish Speakers offered via the Course of Study @GBHEM: http://bit.ly/2y32443
- United Methodist History or La Historia de la Iglesia Metodista Unida is now offered in Spanish for the first term in 2018. Registration open now through November 20: https://www.courseofstudy.org/ <tag UMCOS FB Page>
- GBHEM Provides New United Methodist History Course for Spanish Speakers: http://bit.ly/2y32443
- United Methodist History course now offered in Spanish for the first term in 2018. Registration open through 20 Nov: https://www.courseofstudy.org/